Friday, October 8, 2010

Chapter 6

While reading chapter 6, I learned about how to form various claims and arguments, all of which communicate a different message. One of the first concepts I read about was “Compound Claims and ‘Or’ Claims.” These are claims that personally I know I encounter on a daily basis. An example of an “or” claim would be “Sarah is either going to class or is going to sleep in.” Sarah is going to do either one of these things, but not both. Both options have their own pros and cons, and it’s up to Sarah to make the decision. Another concept I read about in the chapter was about “Contrapositive Claims.” These express two claims, in which both the original claim and contrapositive are true. An example of a contrapositive claim would be “If you go to class, then you’ll get a good grade. If you don’t go to class, you won’t get a good grade.” Both claims are true; but approach opposite scenarios.

No comments:

Post a Comment