Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Valid vs. Strong Arguments

A valid argument is one in which the premises and the conclusion of an argument are both true. Under a valid argument, it is impossible for a false conclusion to follow from true premises. However, a valid argument could be either good or bad. An example of a good valid argument would be “I’m going to JP’s 10th birthday party. JP is turning 10.” In this example, I would not be going to JP’s 10th birthday party if he was turning a different age.
A strong argument slightly differs from a valid argument, in which every argument is a good or valid argument, and on rare occasions can a false conclusion follow from true premises. An example of a strong argument would be “Sami is scared of driving. Therefore, Sami has never driven.” This could be true, or, maybe Sami used to drive but got in an accident that scared her away from driving. It is easy to assume that Sami has never driven because she is scared, but there is a slight possibility that she has not always been scared.

2 comments:

  1. To start out with, you have good examples! I like how you said that you would not attend JP's 10th birthday party if he was turning a different age. I also like your second example of a strong argument. I think I relate to Sami because I am scared of driving, but I have driven many times before. I have been in an accident before. I was not the one driving but ever-since that crash, I have been paranoid since that other car came crushing into us. It has been about 2 years, and I barely drive now. I'm just so paranoid now. But anyways, good examples :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I like your summary on the concept of Valid and Strong Arguments. Your explanation is very clear and easy to understand. Which is really helpful for someone who didn't understand the concept. You provided strong and effective examples. Knowing how to make a strong or valid argument is a very helpful lesson to have. Every day of our lives we have "arguments," that do not even cross our minds. Being able to convince someone to do something or to buy into your claim is everyday life. To know how to effectively build an argument would make life that much easier. .

    ReplyDelete