Friday, November 12, 2010

Interesting Concept

Something interesting that I found in the reading was the section about Judging Analogies. When judging an analogy, it’s important to hear both sides of the story before making your decision. If you only hear one side of the story, the statement is “too vague to use as a premise.” After both sides of the story are stated, then one needs to find the general principle from both sides. With the general principle clearly stated, then one is to state their premises that support their conclusion. If the premises do not support the conclusion, or are not valid, then the analogy will not be considered valid. I feel as if most people apply these steps when they are caught in the middle of a dispute between friends, family, ect. It is always important to hear both sides of the story, or else you can be drawing a conclusion of false premises.

1 comment:

  1. I think that it is indeed a very interesting concept. At first when I read the text, this did not stand out to me. After I have read your blog, it have definitely caught my attention. I think that most people only think reasoning by analogy is just only comparing two things together and see if they make any sense. One may not realize that both of the comparison need to make a good and valid premises. If any side of the premises are not valid, than it will ruined the entire argument. I really how you compare to hearing both side of the argument first before someone can make a conclusion. I think that definitely make a clearer understanding of the idea.

    ReplyDelete